Thursday, December 8, 2011

I'm moving to Atlanta from a small town to finally live my life as a gay man, any advice?

Hey everyone thanks so much for reading this! Ok, I know this is probably the longest thing written on YA, but at least *try* to make it to the end! I just feel lost right now.





To start, I'm 18 (gay). Right now I'm a freshman college student (halfway through my second semester). I've never had a job (but have always done well in school). I live in the most bible-thumping region of South Carolina, and I just feel extremely alone.





I told my best friend I was gay 6 months ago, and she was my biggest supporter at first. Two weeks ago she told me in an 8 page text that she still had a problem with my being gay, and that she didn鈥檛 agree it. I was more crushed that I鈥檝e ever been in my life. She told me she still wanted to be friends, but I knew that I couldn鈥檛 look at her as a friend again. I鈥檝e been distancing myself from her sense then, and I hope she will eventually get the hint. I can鈥檛 just *tell* her that I can鈥檛 be around her anymore, we were best friends for 5 years.





I feel like I need to get out of this place, and move somewhere a little more "gay friendly". Maybe then I can gather my thoughts, some supporting friends, and maybe a relationship. This could give me the courage to tell my family.





Right now I鈥檓 attending a two year college in South Carolina, and the previous plan was for me to transfer to a nearby university for the last two years. Now I鈥檝e decided to transfer to a college in Georgia (near Atlanta). Does this sound like something someone in my position would do? I would have to get a job in Atlanta to be able to do this, and a roommate. My family is totally on board with this (although they still don鈥檛 know I鈥檓 gay).





I know I鈥檒l be so much happier once I can be myself. Instead of trying to figure out about which people will accept me, I鈥檒l finally be able to assume that most people around me do.





The only problem is that right now, I鈥檓 terrified! I鈥檝e spent so much time daydreaming about how amazing it would be to go to a more tolerant place that I completely forgot that it would mean leaving everything I currently know.





I don鈥檛 know where to meet people in Atlanta (as it stands now, I make new friends through my current friends) and I鈥檝e never been on my own before!





So I guess my questions are: How do I make gay-friendly and gay friends in Atlanta? How could I make sure that my new roommate is either a woman or another gay guy? What should my overall firsts step in making sure I have a smooth transition into a big city?





I can't thank you enough for actually reading all of this, and thanks again for anyone who replies! This is such a terrifying exciting time in my life, but I know it will all end in the best way possible :) Thanks everyone!|||Atlanta is a great city to be gay! It's certainly an open and diverse city and you will hopefully feel at home very soon. I know I felt at home quickly after moving to Atlanta several years ago.





Once you get settled where you will be living, you can "scope out" the scene where you are. You'll be going to school and working so you should have no trouble meeting gay friends and gay-friendly friends that have been in the area and know where the good places to hang out and meet new people.





Have fun on your amazing journey! I know it seems scary, and I'm sure a little overwhelming to think about but the adventure will change your life!





Best of luck to you!|||Just because Justin Bieber lives in Atlanta doesn't mean it's gay-friendly.|||You're going to have a lot of fun. You're getting ready for a big adventure. You'll go to a new school, and get involved in the gay rights groups, or in the arts or theater or in other venues where gays hang out. You'll meet a few people who are out of the closet or at least pretty open about being gay, and you'll gravitate towards them until you feel more comfortable about coming out. Your first semester, you'll probably have whatever roommate they assign, but my your second semester you'll probably change rooms and be with someone who's gay or at least is really cool. With your new friends, you'll go to Atlanta and being exploring the gay scene and figure out what you like and don't like. Maybe you'll decide to stay in Atlanta, or eventually move to another gay friendly city. Enjoy the adventure. These can be the best years of your life in many ways, and you're really wise to get out of that small town. As far as your friend goes, consider that you're educating her. She grew up in that same narrow minded community, but certainly hasn't given as much thought to being gay as you have. Thanks to you, she may not make the community gay friendly, but she'll make it a little gay friendlier. You taught her that some really nice people are gay, and she's struggling to come to terms with that. Don't be too hard on her. She's been corrupted by her community, and it takes people like you to uncorrupt her! At any rate, have fun in Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment