Thursday, December 15, 2011

Help dealing with Section 8 and other govt. agencies.?

How to get help dealing with Section 8 and other govt. agencies.?


I've been having a really difficult time trying to get answers let alone a return phone call from the local housing authority. They are saying your rent can't exceed the payment standard, while HUD says it may and the tenant can pay the difference. I believe this is where the percentage of your income that you pay comes into play. Example: it's always mentioned that you can pay between 30-40% of your income. My understanding is that the extra 10% is the amount that can go towards any amount above the payment standard for your voucher size. However, I'm not positive as I can't get a return phone call.





I've tried the local PHA, then I tried the HUD 1-800 number and they didn't seem to know much, but gave me another 800 number where I've left messages and got no return phone call. Then I called the local HUD office that oversees the different regions of my state and got no return phone call.





I realize that different counties can implement rules a bit differently than others. However, since I'm transferring from another county and was told several things incorrectly by them and found out by researching and pursuing the matter that they were actually incorrect, I'm having a hard time taking anything the county I'm transferring says at face value.





HUD mentions several exceptions for the disabled, etc... that the local office seems to have no knowledge of. I just want to use due diligence and make sure things are being done properly.





I'd like to know if there's any place I can turn to that would help me get the answers and respect I need. I'm wondering if there's any advocacy group or social worker, etc. that would help in this situation?





Also, would like the same type of help when dealing with medicaid/food stamps. I've missed out on over 1,200 dollars in benefits and been without health care at times because they "lose" things.





I try to be proactive and do the best I can, but often get nowhere.|||They are correct, rent can not exceed the standard and it is a felony for the tenant to pay the difference, welfare fraud. You misunderstood what you read on HUD.





You pay 30% of your income to rent, section 8 pays the rest, but the total rent can not exceed their limit. No counties implement these basic rules differently, these are federal guidelines.





You get help from your local office, your case worker IS a social worker. No other counties are going to help you, in fact no one other then your specific case worker will deal with your case.|||Go into the local Housing Authority in your county in person and speak with your case worker that is assigned to you. You are wrong in how you think this works. You pay about 33% of your income for your rent payment and the Housing Authority in your county that issues the voucher pays the rest. Every jurisdiction has different guidelines for rent amounts you can pay. In my county the Housing Authority sets a one-bedroom for one person at a maximum rent of $1250 which is the market rate so if I find one for $1400 I am not allowed to rent it and pay the landlord on the side. That is a violation of Sec 8 policy and there are severe penalties for these infractions of their rules. You have to find an apartment which rents for under their maximum amount for that size unit. If I have two children my voucher entitles me to a 2-bedroom apartment and a higher maximum rent allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment