Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can anyone have faith in the banking system anymore?

I have been banking with Regions for three plus years now. My husband and I are in our early twenties and have NEVER written a hot check, have never missed a mortgage payment, have excellent credit. The company my husband works for, however, was supposed to wire his check in the bank on time. After paying bills on the assumption that the money was in there on time (big mistake) we noticed that we had a negative checking balance because we'd spent $50 over what we currently had in our account. I immediately went into our savings account which is linked to our checking and transferred enough to cover the $50 amount that was overdrawn, plus enough to cover the $50 overdraft fee they charged me, then transferred $200 more just to put some in there until my husband gets paid. The bank could obviously see that we weren't meaning to go over our limit, clearly they saw that we had money in our other account that they could've easily transferred. Well the next day I checked it and they said that because we didn't transfer our money over before 6pm that they had to debit another fee of TWO HUNDRED dollars!!! I called the bank since I was at work at the time, and explained the situation and tried to get them to knock out the fees, since clearly I have NEVER had a problem like this and even had money in my other account to cover the amount. So they said they could only give me $35 out of the $250 total that they took from me. My husband is fixing to lose his job and that little bit of money in savings was supposed to be a cushion for us. Now I am having to fight the bank to get back my $250 because I went over my balance by $50. I don't get it!!! I could understand if we did this all the time, but this is the first. I'm going to meet with the bank on Monday and possibly shut down my accounts if they can't cut me some slack. Anyone else having ridiculous problems with their banks???|||Wow, those are some hefty fees! $50 for a returned check? Most are only about $35. Your bank is making bucks on those who *do* kite checks often!





If what you are saying is true, and you have NEVER overdrafted, they are being unreasonable to not refund more than $35 of the $250. You should have had overdraft protection in place or, your savings account tied to your checking to transfer funds if you were ever short. That is how most banks have it, BUT, you have to ask for that service, they do not do it as a rule.





I would take what is left of my money out of that bank too, IF this is the first time you have gone over. Most banks will waive fees (maybe not the entire $250) if it is the first time. I know my bank will waive them every 6 mos, as long as you don't have a habit of overdrawing your account.





If you do close your account, make sure your new bank has your savings tied to your checking, and if you have great credit ask them if you qualify for an overdraft protection.





I know it's hard sometimes when direct deposits don't hit your account when *you* think they will. I have had that happen to me, and have been bad writing check(s) thinking the money would be there..and BAM! I got hit too. I just accepted it as an idiot charge since I should have checked..but.. LOL It still makes you mad when you just donated $35 to the bank.|||Let see YOU wrote checks but did not have any money in the bank, So now fees are involved. Why is this the banks fault. You and only you are responsible to be aware of your finances. I always call the bank and make sure the direct deposit has landed. And I still wait.|||are you serious????you write checks with no $ in the account, the bank is supposed to read you minds that you were not meaning to go over your limit and now you want your fees reversed. By all means shut down your bank accounts, and just use cash. And no other bank reads minds either so don't brother opening a account anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment