Thursday, December 15, 2011

I am being harassed at work by a department manager.?

I work at Office Depot. Judging by there being another post about harassment from this company, this is probably not uncommon for the company. I have been working for the company for 1.5 years and never had any sort of problem with anyone at my job until one particular manager was transferred to my store.


He has been harassing me for at least 2 months it has intensified only in the last few weeks:





1) It started out with making me button up the top button of my shirt after carrying a 50+ lbs pox in 110 degree heat. No other manager in the 2 summers that I have worked has objected especially since they know I'm headed to the restroom to dry off from the waterfall of sweat exuding from me.


2) Chastised me for having food delivered from a restaurant next door, when he knows that I don't normally get a lunch and must scarf down whatever I can, while working, during my 8-10 Hour shift.


3) He only calls me when he hasn't seen me for an extended period of time. I have to do many things on my shift. If it is dead on the sales floor, I am restocking my section. He's called me into the office only to find out where I was several times. I am normally in the warehouse trying to restock printers.


4) He wrote me up for tardies that happened a year before he started working at my store. He stated that it was necessary for record keeping.


5) Just recently last monday, he saw me walking through the door and he makes a bee-line for the manager's office. I turn on my radio (before I even change into my uniform or even start working) like I normally do so I can hear what's going on and get a feel of the day. I hear him telling everyone to notify him when I get onto the sales floor. 5 minutes later, I get called into the Manager's office with a write up for not showing up to work fully dressed in uniform. It has always been known that I change at work because it is so hot outside. this has never been an issue, nor is it in the Employee handbook that I must be in my uniform when I arrive at the store, and still not being paid.


6)This happened the day after (Tuesday): I finished all of my work. I am almost always done early sometimes even before the store closes. I always go up to the Employee break-room to change out of my uniform and ask if there is anything that they need help with in other departments and to ask to leave if the other departments are almost done. This has never been an issue until he made it one. He walked up to me and asked if I got specific permission from the "Store" manager that I can work out of uniform. Another employee changed 5 minutes before I did and he wasn't even done with his section! The Dept. Manager didn't question him. Nor did he badger him with questions about it.





I know this manager is singling me out. I don't know if it is because he doesn't like that I'm gay or if it is something else. I have been trying to contact the Human Resources representatives for my region in Office Depot Since last Wednesday about this matter. Neither of them have returned my phone calls. I sent a general email to Officedepot.com complaining that I couldn't get in contact with the HR. I even gave the names of the 2 reps that that i needed to contact, with my phone number. and Still no response. I have called every day at different times of the day. All I get is voice-mail and no response.





I don't know what else to do. I thought Office Depot was supposed to be about professionalism, and taking care of business. I have seen neither. I need to know what to do next.|||Your boss is a paranoid incompetent.





I would find another job before he really drives you crazy.





My guess here is he came to your store because he's burned his bridge with his district management team everywhere else. He gets too many employee complaints so they pass him off to another store because he can still make sales targets and cost control targets. When he has burned through every store, they will fire him.





How do I know this? I think I used to work for the female form of this guy. This woman I worked for hit outstanding numbers on the job. But everyone who worked for her hated her and wanted out. She drove everyone nuts including me. I let her get to me and I nearly had a nervous breakdown.





Don't let this guy get to you because the worst that can happen to you is he'll destroy your confidence and you'll question whether you can do any job right. You'll question that for a very long time.





Find another job and leave this person in the dust where he belongs.|||Nothing harrassing there, are you sure it is not YOU with the gay chip on your shoulder? Sounds to me like you are trying to build a "gay case", out of a manager that does things differently than perhaps a lax manager in the past.





Perhaps it is time that you ask what the problem is in front of another manager of course. Honestly though running around with your shirt unbuttoned is NOT a PROFESSIONAL look regardless of the temperatures. Anyway you are not being harrassed.|||1. Not harassment.

2. Not harassment

3. Not harassment

4. Not harassment

5. No harassment

6. Not harassment



He's a nit picker, and a guy who clearly goes by the book. None of that is harassment.|||Wow you are totally a victim!





I feel sooooooooooooo sorry for you!!!





Here you are just being such a good little boy and Mr. Meany Boss is so terrible!!1





It is ALL his fault!!





You should tell him, "Take this job and shove it! I ain't workin' here no more!"|||It doesn't sound like "Harassment", only that he is nit picky about small unimportant things. Perhaps he is a new unseasoned manager and doesn't possess good people/management skills. You do not know what he is doing with other employees so don't try to use that as Gauge for how you should perform, just ask for his clarification of the rules and follow them. You will find that each manager has their own style and some may match yours and others don't. It is up to you to adapt. If you can not reach a satisfactory working arrangement then continue your efforts through HR and maybe you can be transferred to a different store. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment