Monday, December 12, 2011

Getting a promotion, moving, how much should I ask for and other questions?

I currently work in a management position within one of our stores. I am looking at receiving a promotion to a regional managment position that would still be doing my current job in a new, smaller store as well as the region. The region is small at this time but looking to grow quickly. The kicker is that it is 6 hours away. I would have to move my family of 5. The company is well aware of my situations, but still looking at the move. Hubby would have to quit his job and find something out there. I have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on.





1. I currently make 45,000/year. How much should I ask for in my raise with all the above as a consideration.


2. Should the company pay for my move?


3. How long should they give me to make the transfer reasonably?


4. Should they pay me for that time off to make the move?








Thanks!|||Since you are in a management position, you may qualify for relocation reimbursements or allowances from your company, so the first thing I would do is look up the policy and procedures on travel, and the category of relocation expenses. This company could offer none, or perhaps they have lessened their allowances due to the economy. In any case find out. If it is a large company there are probably administrators who have expertise in relocation allowances. After all, there are many forms of relocation--some do a temporary change of station, while others like yourself move. You said you are getting a promotion, but then you also said you will still do your current job. Is it a promotion or a lateral move? In any case, I believe the company should offer you an increase of perhaps 5% to 8% if it is a lateral move. If that sounds conservative, it is because they don't have to offer you anything if it is lateral. As a manager you could qualify for the real estate expenses of putting your current home up for sale, and also buying a new one. Some of those allowances are negotiable and paid for by the receiving group you are going to. They should also pay for the moving van that relocates your possessions. So do some research on what your company offers and if they'd be willing to negotiate those allowances.

No comments:

Post a Comment